This Saturday I went with my cousin, uncle, and father to Hampden-Sydney. They were having a recruitment tour or something. It was a decent institution, but I couldn't see myself there. It seems like everyone who comes out of there majors in an economic field. I'm just not that interested in a job with a banking firm. It was a small, traditional college. It greatly contrasted with UVA. Like big school vs. small school. Liberal vs. conservative. Rhetoric was a mandatory set of classes. I liked that. But they put too much emphasis on brotherhood and a homely atmosphere. I don't think that's what I'm looking for. Plus it's all male and sort of in the middle of nowhere. Farmville is pretty close, accordingly Longwood University. But seriously.
Okay there was a fellow in the tour who sat kind of in front of me during a lecture. And I swear he looked exactly like Chris Cook. It was uncanny the resemblance. The real weird thing is I got a look at his tag and this guy's name is Roark. Lucas Roark. It was crazy. I thought that was a made-up name, something of Ayn Rand's invention. But no. Here was living proof of the validity of the existence of this surname. It was unbelievable.
And later that day in the parking lot of the Bass Pro Shop we saw a small child nearly become roadkill. He ran out between a stationary vehicle and one that was pulling up to park. The guy parking jumped out because he thought we might hit the kid as he ran across the street. In his haste, he neglected to put on the brake. Or put it in park. So while the mother is running in between the cars to get her kid, this SUV is rolling forward, closing the gap between the cars. And she bolted out right before it collided with the camry in front of it. All this happened in like less than ten seconds. And my cousin, uncle, dad, and I couldn't do anything but sit and watch in horror. It was really scary. But no one was hurt. That's good.
16 years ago



No comments:
Post a Comment